Monday, March 2, 2009

Visit to Battambang. Feb. 9 to 13


My visit to Battambang is mainly for the family reasons. I spent most of the time with my old parents, my brothers, sisters, nephews and relatives.



I felt more safer in Battambang than the last times I visited this town. The town has been rapidly developped. The old metal bridge (Spean Dek) is replaced by a new bridge. There is a park along Sangker River where people come each evening for a promenade, to do sport, to flirt, to relax, to pic-nic,....


Sangker River


Local Specialties

There are also more western tourists than before.

There is a western style night club called SKY. I went to that club once after the evening promenade. The music is mostly techno. Many young Cambodians (girls and boys) came to have fun and dance. While dancing, I looked around me and saw only (very) young boys and girls. Oh man, I felt very lonely and old :-))

Entrance is free but the drinks were quite expensive (4 USD a bottle of beer). There are special seats for those who can afford Champagne or Black Label Johnny Walker (well expensive drinks).

I went to have a hair-cut in town and the barber cleaned my ears at the same time. He did badly the job when cleaning my ears that I couldn't hear well for some days.

I was happy to meet some friends who live in the town: Rattanak, Sophana andVuthy. I met also Ha Sam Ol who works for an NGO and Rin Seyha who is a representant for a renewable energy company. I forgot completely these two guys. Without help from Sophana and Vuthy, I would never recognize them.

I met also Sophea who came from Thmor Pouk (3 hours drive from Battambang).


Sophana and Ratanak who came to the park to do sport




Sophana, Rin Seyha, Kann Vuthy and Ratanak
Feb. 13. 09, the day I left for Phnom Penh

I went also to pay a visit to my sister who passed away on 10.9.2005 and a friend, Kuch Keyla, who left us on 30.8.1997. I was very moved to see them here. I spent more than 1 hour with them and cleaned their tombs. I remembered them... When I visited Cambodia in May 1996 for the first time after 15 years, we were happy to meet each other. He brought me to visit country side, to meet people, to Phnom Sampov... He made everything he can to make me feel safe during my visit (War was not yet finished at the time and walking in the street, especially when the night falls, was dangerous).




May peace be with both of you! I will come to visit you again next time.

What else about Battambang? Well, not much except that the price of lands in downtown, like everywhere in Cambodia, is extremely expensive.

To finish, a clip on Battambang:





No comments: