Saturday, February 21, 2009

Feb.5: arriving at Phnom Penh Airport


My flight from Seoul landed in Phnom Penh Airport (Pochentong) at 22h50. I was alone in the range of 3 seats in the plane. There were a lot of Korean businessmen, some Cambodians, a few western tourists...

I went quickly to ask for a visa on arrival. I handed my passport and necessary papers I filled in the plane to a guy in charge of the visas. The guy looked friendly... He asked me to give him some money to do the visa. As a French citizen born in Cambodia, my visa is free (Visa K). I told him that I have no money at all and my pocket is empty. Also I told him that I took this cheap flight because I have not much money. The man looked unhappy with me. He stopped looking at me and told me nothing about my visa. Instead he told some of his colleagues that I gave no money.

I waited... I tried to be friendly and smiley. But in me, it burnt and boiled. I wanted to say: fuck you guy.,why you ask me for money while it is free ? Well last times, I gave 10 bucks to have my visa quickly. But this time, I cannot support this kind of corruption on my back anymore....

I waited for news about my visa.... Suddenly another guy handed back my passport with the permanent visa. Great! I said thank you and left for the immigration.

At the immigration desk, the man looked friendly as well. He asked me the purpose of my visit etc.... And his last question was: do you have some money to give to your little brother? I said sorry brother I have no money this time. The guy kept smiling at me and said "no problem. I ask just in case you have some money to help me to make my living conditions better". He handed back my passport with the stamp and wished me good stay. [ when I left Cambodia, I have the same songs with the immigration guy].

I left the immigration and arrived at the custom service. A man looked at my luggage and said I can go..... Thank you man!

I left the airport and crowd of people were there waiting for their relatives. I looked quickly at them and found no known face. I walked out of the crowd and saw Vansak and Sovannara walking quickly toward me....

We left the airport in Vansak's car. Vansak and Sovannara brought me to eat a bowl of rice soup with chicken in a famous restaurant open 24h near Chinese Hospital (Pet Chen in Cambodian). The soup was excellent.

We left the restaurant around 1 o'clock in the morning for Sydney Guest House.Vansak and Sovannara stayed the night with me. The room was clean enough but the aircondtion was very noisy that I couldn't sleep. I stopped the aircond in the night but water drops of the aircond in the higher rooms made a lot of noise as well. At 3 o'clock, the dancing club nearby closed the door and people came out and discussed. They were noisy.

I thought about the noise and what happened at the aiport, and said to myself: well this is Cambodia. Many Cambodians have to confront everyday these kinds of situations and they have no choice except to suffer.


More pictures available at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cheayden/PhnomPenhVisitLiekeFeb2009#


No comments: